- 5 bell peppers
- 32 oz (1L) chicken stock
- 1 head garlic
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) butter
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) red chili flakes
- Roughly chop the peppers, garlic, and onion then add to a stock pot.
- Add the chicken stock, turn the heat up to medium high, and bring to a simmer.
- Drop the heat to low and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Empty contents of pot into a blender and blend on high until smooth. Then transfer to a separate container. (Depending on the size of your blender you may need to do this in batches to prevent it from overflowing.)
- Dry out the bottom of the stock pot with a paper towel.
- Put the stock pot on medium heat and melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk together for about 2 minutes until the roux is a lightly toasted color.
- Add the soup back into the pot along with the salt, sugar, basil, and red chili flakes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve with a couple dashes of tobasco sauce and cheese crackers.